Handsome Alice is an independent theatre company supporting women’s perspectives through creative narratives that fuse life with art. We are a catalyst for activating diverse voices through performances and events that empower both artists and the community.
We are Recruiting!
Handsome Alice Theatre is seeking a new board member to take on the role of Board Chair, for a term of two years, with an option to renew for a second term.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org by October 15, 2021
The Chair presides over all meetings of the Board and the Annual General Meeting. The Chair works cooperatively with the Artistic Producer and provides leadership to the Board. The Chair also serves as a representative of the theatre to both internal and external constituencies and is an important member of the leadership team. The Chair is responsible for serving as an advisor to the Artistic Producer and facilitating Board meetings.
- Leads the development of a mission and strategic plan for the organization
- Ensures the Board adopts an annual work plan that is consistent with the organization’s strategic directions, mandate, and vision
- Keeps informed about community issues relevant to the mission and objectives of Handsome Alice Theatre
- Ensures the Board of Directors is fulfilling its fiduciary and legal responsibilities
- Chairs General and AGM meetings of the Board
- Maintains effective partnerships and communication with the community, the organization’s members, and its stakeholders
- Acts as one of the signing authorities for cheques, grant applications, reports, casino applications, contract, correspondence etc.
- ensures that the senior artistic management team (Artistic Producer) is properly supported and has a strong relationship with the board
- Demonstrated leadership and involvement in the community
- Ability to effectively lead a team in dealing with difficult issues
- Willing and able to commit time to the leadership of the organization
- Ability to communicate, listen and seek others’ input
- Ability to represent the organization in the community
- Service in a leadership position of a board (e.g., committee chairman or Executive Committee member)
- Previous experience on a board of a small non-profit organization
Since 2005, the company has produced twenty four productions from the classic and contemporary canons to premieres of new Canadian works. With artistic excellence leading our core values, artists associated with Handsome Alice Theatre productions have garnered two Betty Mitchell Awards, eighteen Betty Mitchell Award nominations, five Critics Choice Award nominations, and two FFWD Weekly Readers’ Choice Award nominations.
Mission and Vision
Mission: Handsome Alice is devoted to unleashing women’s voices through theatre works that are inclusive, curious, and rebellious.
Vision: A performance hive where big ideas meet creation.
- Ensure artistic excellence and integrity through artistic risk, freedom of expression, and creative collaborations
- Embrace diverse ideas, art forms, and communities
- Evoke imaginative alliances between artists and community
- Embody best business practices and responsible board governance